How to Apply
Study for free
Students who receive Russian government scholarships can study in the preparatory programme for free if they do not know Russian language well enough to enrol in a Russian-taught full-degree programme. It is only possible to apply for full-tuition scholarships only through their local Rossotrudnichestvo branch. You can find more information here.
Enrol in fee-paying programmes
International students may also apply to enrol in fee-paying preparatory programmes.
HSE International Preparatory Programmes in Russian are designed for international students who are planning to enter a Russian-taught full-degree programme at HSE or another Russian university. The courses cater to students with varying levels of Russian. Before classes begin, students are required to take an entrance test. Students are then enrolled in a course according to their test result. All international students enrolled in preparatory programmes are guaranteed a place in one of the HSE student dormitories.
HSE International Preparatory Programmes include:
- Russian as a Foreign Language course;
- General elective courses relevant to academic tracks in humanities, economics, engineering and technology. These courses are optional and are offered only if a minimum of 16 students are registered.
The maximum class size for Russian language lessons is 12 students. General elective courses are held as Russian-taught workshops in groups of 15-20 students.
After completing a chosen preparatory programme, students take exams in Russian and study area subjects. Those who pass the exams successfully will receive a certificate of completion of a chosen preparatory programme. Successfull graduates of HSE Preparatory Basic course are eligible for a 25% scholarship on further tuition-paid programmes.
How to apply:
1. Choose the Course (1, 2 or 3 semesters)
2. Apply Online. (You wil be required to upload scans of your passport, photograph and diploma/degree.)
Applications are processed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time. Regular application deadlines:
Basic course - July 31
Intensive course - October 31
Extended course - October 31
3. Undergo Competitive Selection - Within two weeks of receiving your application, we will send an acknowledgment of receipt.
4. Get an Invitation and apply for a Student Visa (complete Visa_info questionnary . Please note: Visa invitations can be requested only 90 days prior to the beginning of the programme)
Cost of Attendance:
Basic course (October 2019 - July 2020) is 174 000 RUB
Intensive course (February - July 2020) 96 400 RUB
Extended course (February 2020- July 2021) 270000 RUB
Costs reflect the 2019-20 academic year. The fees are payable in Russian rubles.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following programmes are offered:
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.